Visigoths vs Mall Goths
Nominated for ENnie Award for Best Writing!
Visigoths vs. Mall Goths is a tabletop roleplaying game and dating sim about the conflicts and romances among the warriors who sacked ancient Rome and 20th century spooky teens, set in a shopping mall in a Los Angeles suburb in 1996.
The plot structure of Visigoths vs. Mall Goths resembles an open-world videogame RPG. Designed for either one-shot or campaign play, each adventure episode offers several quests that you may choose to pursue (or ignore), and the mall setting is packed with many strange retro marvels to discover. Or you can just replay the game over and over to kiss all the kissable clerks.
This book includes:
- An original, easy-to-learn gameplay system that fits on a single page
- Detailed instructions for creating 3 types of Visigoths and 3 Types of Mall Goths
- A fully developed mall setting, featuring 17 store and 24 clerks from a variety of cultures/subcultures
- Clerks come with rad and bummer qualities, a list of best friends, and a list of exes.
- Printable character sheets, mall maps, game rules, and clock
- A list of embarrassing traits and a system for using them to help your friends
- An emo battle system based on hurt feelings
- A guide to safety and having fun
- 6 adventure episodes to help you plan one-shot sessions or a multi-session campaign
This game was created by local game designer Lucian Khan. Check out Lucian's 2-player RPG Dead Friend!
Mechanic: GM & 6-Sided Dice
Number of Players: 4 - 6, plus facilitator
Genre: Modern, Fantasy
Themes: Exploration, Adventure, Companionship