In Fairytale Gloom, custom collections of fairy tale characters like Jack, Gretel, Puss in Boots, and Little Red Riding Hood do their best to stay happy, but circumstances conspire to rain woe on their sad, ill-fated heads.
These heroes become beasts, give up on Grandma, and cry wolf once too often. Even though they look into magic mirrors and kill golden geese, most end their days living in giant shoes… or worse.
In Fairytale Gloom…
- Each player chooses their own collection of fairy tale protagonists.
- Modifiers add or subtract points. You could play "Dwelt With Some Dwarfs" on "Rapunzel," for example.
- Unhappy Endings lock in points for good or ill. Perhaps "Goldilocks" "Cried Wolf Once Too Often."
- It's all about storytelling: Players weave tales around what comes to pass. What happened, exactly, when "Joe the Giant" "Married a Murderer?"
- With transparent cards, the points you can see are the points in play — it's that simple!
Eventually, enough Unhappy Endings come to pass that the game ends. And then? The most miserable collection of characters wins.
Fairytale Gloom is a stand-alone game that's also compatible with all existing Gloom core games and expansions.
- 2 Decks of 55 Transparent Cards
Designer: Keith Baker